SELECTION CRITERIA REVISED FOR 2021 U.S. RYDER CUP TEAM
Steve Stricker To Make Six Captain’s Selections
PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. (June 10, 2021) – As a result of the cancellation of 11 events on the PGA Tour due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the PGA of America and Ryder Cup Captain Steve Stricker today announced revised selection criteria for the U.S. Team in advance of the 2021 Ryder Cup, which is scheduled to be played September 22-27 at Whistling Straits in Kohler, Wisconsin.
The 2021 Ryder Cup will take place on the Straits Course at Whistling Straits in Kohler, Wisconsin and be played September 22-27, 2021. The course has previously hosted three PGA Championships (2004 won by Vijay Singh, 2010 won by Martin Kaymer and 2015 won by Jason Day).
All U.S. players had the opportunity to earn points beginning in 2019. Those points will continue to be recognized.
2019 Major Championships
- 1 Point per $1,000 earned
- The Masters, PGA Championship, U.S. Open & The Open
2019 WGC Events and The Players Championship
- 1 Point per $2,000 earned
- WGC-Mexico Championship; WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play Championship; The Players Championship; WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational; WGC-HSBC Champions
2021 Regular PGA Tour events
- 1 point per $1,000 earned
- Beginning January 1, 2021, through the end of the second FedEx Cup Playoff (BMW Championship), August 30, 2021; including the WGC events
- 2021 Opposite Field PGA TOUR events will NOT receive points
2021 Major Championships
- 2 Points per $1,000 earned for the Winner
- 1.5 Points per $1,000 earned for all others to make the cut
- PGA Championship only
The points system for the American team will include the top six players on the points list securing spots on the U.S. Team. Previously, the top eight players had been expected to secure spots.
Points for the U.S. selection criteria will accrue through the completion of the second FedEx Cup Playoff event (BMW Championship) on August 30, 2021, assuming all such events and the 2021 Ryder Cup take place as currently scheduled.
The remaining six players will be selected and announced by Captain Stricker on September 2 or 3, 2021. Previously, the Captain was to select four players.
“With all the various changes to the 2021 schedule, it quickly became apparent that we would need to amend our selection criteria,” said Stricker, who will be captaining in his home state of Wisconsin. “After many deliberate discussions, we collectively agreed that a smaller sampling of 2021 events — including just one major championship — would justify a one-week extension of the qualification window and an increase in the number of Captain’s selections from four to six. These changes were sparked by circumstance, but conceived with integrity in mind. In the end, we believe they will allow us to put our best team together to compete at Whistling Straits in September.”